Monday, November 23, 2009

3 Little Words

So this weekend I had a brief conversation with one of my best friends. We updated one another on our lives and made plans to get together and at the end of the conversation she said , "okay girl, I love you." and I said the same. I started thinking well this wasn't a long emotional and heartfelt conversation just a "catch-up" she still felt the necessity to reinforce the bond of our relationship. She was my friend and she loved me. I immediately thought about how every time we part either on the phone or in person this friend always says those 3 little words and it means so much. This is not a common practice with any of my other friends but I was thinking it probably would be a good thing to start.
We tell our boyfriends/husbands and family members, "I love you" but how often do we utter those words to the family we choose; our best friends? I know she loves me but it feels good to hear it every now and then just like it does from a significant other. It reminded me that this is a relationship like any other that needs nurturing and takes work to continue; which is probably why after 15 years we are still great friends. Maybe saying those 3 little words more often would make you and your best friend a little closer and trusting of one another.. So, I challenge myself and you today to try to remember to always tell your BFF(s) you love them whenever parting. It is the little things that keep a friendship strong.

1 comment:

  1. I love to follow as you grow. I always tell those with whom I often commune, “I love you”, and mean it. I concur with your assessment that we don’t say those “3 little words”, enough from our heart. A friend is a choice, and rare in our lives; therefore, when we have one, we should truly nurture it. This reminds me that I have friends, who I don’t take enough special care to our relationship. Thank you for the thoughtful provocation… and… “I Love You!” Mother.

    ReplyDelete